Site Map

Monday, December 31, 2007

AeroGarden - Aerogrow AeroGarden - AeroGarden Reviews.(Aerogarden)

Aerogarden

Everybody says when kids grow vegetables they're more likely to eat them. But not every parent has the time or patience to maintain a garden or involve their kids in the process.

Enter the AeroGarden.

This nifty indoor gardening system uses hydroponics, rather than dirt, to nourish the plants. It uses full-spectrum light bulbs, rather than the sun, to help them grow. But at around $150, is it worth the money?

The Pros

First let me say I'm a huge fan of the AeroGarden. When they first came out a few years ago, I got one for my then 8-year-old. We both enjoyed watching the cherry tomatoes grow from little sprouts to full-grown, thriving plants.

I also felt it taught both of us how to successfully grow plants from seeds to fruit. We didn't have to wait months to watch the seeds grow into little sprouts. It happens in just two weeks with the AeroGarden.

And we didn't have to water, fertilize, or, in my case, pray, the plants would actually produce fruit. (Yes, I have the only "black thumb" in my family -- a real sore subject, since I come from a long line of farmers.)

We discovered the importance of pollination (you have to do that by hand since there are no bees indoors). And we liked the fact that the system reminds you when to water and add nutrient tablets.

A Great Way to Get Kids Interested in Food

It also got everyone in the family interested in what we were growing, which is part of the idea for kids. Even my then four-year-old couldn't wait to try a yellow cherry tomato as soon as it was ready.

Top Customer Support

The customer support is fabulous. Really A+. As a totally ignorant gardener, I had some questions and concerns about trimming back the plants (how could I cut them when I'd never been able to grow anything before!). They patiently walked me through it. We also ran into a problem with our pump when we did our second planting (peppers), and they immediately resolved it.

The Cons

Price is definitely a drawback. At around $150 for the basic system, this is an expensive purchase.

I could definitely see it for classrooms (although kids would have to be taught that vegetables don't grow nearly as fast under normal, outdoor circumstances). But I'm not sure it should take the place of a say, a new bike, or a doll house on a child's birthday list.

On the other hand, it's a gift that definitely keeps giving. You can expect to enjoy fruit from your AeroGarden for 4 to 6 months. That's longer than most kids play with their hot new toys anyway.

Don't Expect to Get What's Pictured on the Box

The yield isn't necessarily what is pictured on the box or in the commercials -- at least not in our experience. Although our AeroGarden was lush and green for six full months, we didn't get more than two or three tomatoes at a time. My visions of making homemade tomato sauce every week never came to be.

On the other hand, our experience with the peppers was quite the opposite. We got tons of peppers at once -- almost too many. I mean, really, how much salsa can you make?

Bright Lights, Big Garden

The lights are bright! It wasn't an issue for us, since we keep the AeroGarden far from where we sleep, but I've heard some people say it keeps them up at night, especially if they live in an apartment.

The Bottom Line

In sum, I wouldn't want to give up our AeroGarden. I can't wait to try strawberries, salad greens and Italian herbs.

But I wouldn't necessarily run out and buy it for a child either. Some of the kids I know are only interested in food in terms of making cookies or decorating pumpkins. Other kids, like my 15-year-old cousin, have knife skills that rival (okay surpass) my own, and would find tons of ways to enjoy the AeroGarden.

As with any gift, keep the recipient in mind. If the parents will enjoy it as much as the kids, it's probably worth it. But if price is a concern, get some seeds from the local nursery instead.

-Aerogarden-

Labels: , , , , , ,